This document outlines Youpla’s policy on handling the personal information that we collect about individuals including customers, potential customers, and business partners.
‘’Youpla’, ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ refers to Youpla Group Holdings Pty Ltd ABN 94 074 081 146 of Suite 216, Level 2, 72-80 Marine Parade, Coolangatta 4225 and its subsidiary group of companies.
We recognise that your privacy is very important to you. We are committed to protecting the privacy of your Personal Information and will at all times comply with the terms of this policy when handling your personal information.
- why Youpla needs personal information and what type of information we collect
- how we protect your personal information
- who can access your personal information
- how you can contact us to find out more about your personal information
- what to do if you have concerns about your privacy.
Why we collect your Personal Information
We generally collect Personal Information to provide the various products and services we offer, or otherwise as permitted by law.
Such purposes include responding to your enquiries; providing you with assistance, your request of us; maintaining and administering our products and services (for example processing requests for quotes, underwriting and pricing policies, issuing you with a policy, managing claims, processing payments); processing Your survey or questionnaire responses; market research and the collection of general statistical information using common internet technologies such as cookies; providing you with marketing information regarding other products and services (of ours or a third party); quality assurance and training purposes; performing administrative operations (including accounting and risk management) and any other purpose identified at the time of collecting your information.
We may combine or link Personal Information we already hold about you to other Personal Information We collect about you. Third party marketing service providers may combine the Personal Information we disclose to them with information they already hold about you, in order to provide you with more relevant advertising about our or their products and services.
Third parties are prohibited from using your Personal Information for purposes other than those for which it is supplied. If you do not consent to us collecting, using or disclosing all or some of the Personal Information we request, we may not be able to provide you with the product or service that you are seeking. It may also prevent us from maintaining or administering your policy or the provision of information regarding our products or services or those of any third party.
Types of Personal Information we collect
The Personal Information we collect depends on the products and services you use or apply for. We will only collect the information necessary to enable us to provide our products and/or services to you.
Typically the details we collect and hold include your name, contact details (address, phone and fax number, email address), date of birth, gender and payment details. We may also collect information that is specific to a particular product.
We will only collect ‘Sensitive Information’ where it is necessary for the purposes of determining risk or for providing you with a specific product or service including the management of a claim. The types of Sensitive Information we collect (or that might be inferred from other information that we collect) generally includes the following:
- Race or ethnic origin; or
- Health information; or
- Sexual practices.
How we collect your Personal Information
We collect your Personal Information from you in various ways and at several different points. We may collect your Personal Information on our website, by telephone, facsimile, when you complete an application form for one of our products or services and forward it to our attention, enter a competition or voluntarily participate in a survey.
Wherever possible, we collect your Personal Information directly from you. There may, however, be occasions where we collect your Personal Information from someone else. We only collect your information from external sources if it is impractical to collect it directly from you, or when we are permitted to do so
Collection of your Personal Information may include us collecting from:
- Our authorised representatives;
- Our distributors or referrers, agents, business partners and affiliates, other insurers or Related Companies;
- Our service providers;
- The insurer of any policy we arrange for you;
- Your insurer’s appointed service providers including claims assessors;
- Family members or anyone you have authorised to deal with us on your behalf;
- Our legal or other advisers;
- Social media and other virtual communities and networks where people create, share or exchange information;
- The Financial Ombudsman Service or any other external dispute resolution body;
- Policy holder or others who are authorised or noted on the policy as having a legal interest in it, or where they have been appointed under power of attorney or otherwise to manage your affairs;
- Clubs, associations, member loyalty or rewards program providers and other relevant organisations;
- Publicly available sources of information;
- Data partners, analytic consultants and other similar organisations; and
- Any other organisation or person where you have consented to them providing your Personal Information to us or consented to us obtaining Personal Information from them.
If you provide Personal Information to us about another person, We rely on you to have made or make them aware that you will, or may, provide their information to us and the types of third parties We may provide it to, the relevant purposes we and any of the third parties will use it for and how they can access it. If it is Sensitive Information we rely on you to have obtained their consent on these matters. If you have not done, or will not do, either of these things, you must tell us before you provide the relevant Personal Information.
A number of interactive tools or facilities may be available on our website. If you use any of these tools or facilities, we generally do not collect your Personal Information unless a particular tool permits you to suspend or save information and recover those details at a later time. In these circumstances, your Personal Information may be retained on our systems but is not processed or used by us except that it may be used for the purposes of online quoting and subsequent follow up.
From time to time we may request Personal Information from you through competitions or surveys. Participation in these competitions or surveys is completely voluntary and you, therefore, have the choice of whether or not you disclose the Personal Information requested. We may use Personal Information we collect through surveys or questionnaires to assess your satisfaction with our products and services and to determine how we may be able to better service your needs.
Where possible, you have the option of interacting with us anonymously. For example, you may visit and browse our website and use some of our online facilities without having to reveal any Personal Information.
It’s your choice whether to provide your personal information. However, if you don’t, we might be unable to fulfil your request for a specific product or service or be unable to identify you to protect you against fraud.
Sharing and disclosing your Personal Information
We never sell, rent or trade your Personal Information.
We will not share your Personal Information with any other unrelated party except under the following circumstances:
- As provided in a collection notice we give you;
- Where you have consented to the use or disclosure;
- For purposes related to: research (including market research), planning, service development, security, testing and risk management;
- Where a product or service you apply for is provided or supplied by or through a third party;
- Where a third party, such as a mailing house, carries out activities on our behalf;
- If disclosure is otherwise required in order to provide you with a particular product or service;
- In order to ensure our ability to continue providing products and services;
- If disclosure is required for the purposes of conducting business analysis in order to improve our products and services;
- If disclosure is required by law or requested by a statutory, regulatory or ombudsman authority;
- To an insurance broker acting on your behalf or who you have designated to act on your behalf;
- Where a third party has an interest in the product or service we supply, for example a mortgagee, referral agent, distributor or insurance intermediary; and
- Where it is necessary for a third party to assist us in providing our services or professional advice to us, for example, reinsurers, insurance intermediaries, insurance reference bureau, lawyers, accountants, loss adjusters and others involved in the claims handling process where you have provided your consent – which may be given expressly or may reasonably be implied by your conduct.
Some of the entities that we share information with may be located in, or have operations in, other countries. This means that your information might end up stored or accessed in overseas countries, including Vanuatu.
When we send your personal information to overseas recipients, we make sure appropriate data handling and security arrangements are in place
Related and unrelated third parties to whom your Personal Information is disclosed are required to keep the information confidential and only use it for the same purposes we are permitted to use it.
Quality and security of your Personal Information
We aim to ensure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up to date.
During the course of your relationship with us we will ask you to inform us of any changes to your Personal Information. You should, however, contact us at any time to update your Personal Information or advise us that the information we have is not accurate or complete.
We are committed to keeping your Personal Information secure and will use all reasonable precautions to protect it from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration, including:
- Physically securing external and internal premises;
- Maintaining computer and network security such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to computer systems;
- Restricting access to your Personal Information to employees or those who perform services on our behalf who are authorised to handle your Personal Information and on a ‘need to know’ basis;
- Entering into confidentiality agreements with relevant employees and third parties;
- Appropriate training of staff;
- Retaining your Personal Information for no longer than it is reasonably required to service a policy or continue to provide any products and services requested by you, unless we are required by law to retain it for longer; and
- Taking reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify Personal Information that we no longer require.
Access to and correction of your Personal Information
You may generally access the information we hold about you and request corrections by calling, emailing or writing to us (see ‘How to contact us about Privacy’). We will endeavor to respond within 30 days.
This right to access information is subject to the exceptions detailed in the Australian Privacy Principles. For example, we may refuse access where:
- The information may have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others; or
- The request is frivolous or vexatious; or
- The information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings; or
- The information would reveal our intentions in relation to negotiations in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations.
Where providing access would reveal evaluative information in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process, we will provide an explanation for the decision rather than direct access to the information.
There is no charge for making a request to access your personal information. However in some cases there may be a charge to cover the time we spend locating, compiling and explaining the information you ask for. If there is a charge, we’ll give you an estimate up front and confirm that you wish for us to proceed.
In all cases you will be asked to verify who you are before your Personal Information is provided. All requests for Personal Information will be handled in a reasonable period of time.
How to contact us about Privacy
You can call us on 1800 622 924, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Youpla Group Pty Ltd, PO Box 1188, Coolangatta, QLD 4225, to:
- seek more information about anything contained in this policy, or to request a printed copy of this policy;
- update or correct your personal information;
- opt out of receiving direct marketing material;
- ask about accessing or correcting the personal information we hold about you; or
- make a privacy related complaint.
If you ever have an issue or complaint in relation to privacy, please contact us via the contact channels listed above.
We take privacy related complaints very seriously and consider all complaints carefully as part of our commitment to being open, honest and fair in dealing with your concerns. We’ll contact you within five working days of receiving your complaint to let you know what actions we are taking regarding the matter.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your enquiry or complaint you can contact the Privacy Officer and request that it be reviewed by a senior staff member who will endeavour to resolve your dispute within 45 days from when you first notified us.
If you are still not satisfied we will tell you about any external dispute resolution provider which may be available to you.
You can obtain information on privacy issues in Australia by visiting the Office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner’s web site located at www.oaic.gov.au, by email at email@example.com or by telephoning 1300 363 992.
Cookies, the internet, and how our website is used
We use a cookie that collects anonymous traffic data. A cookie is a message given to a web browser by a web server and which is then stored by the browser in a text file. Each time the browser requests a page from the server this message is sent back which enables the user’s computer address (IP address) to be identified.
We may use the information provided by cookies and IP addresses to analyse trends, administer the site, or for research and marketing purposes to help us better serve our clients. No information which personally identifies you will be collected through the cookies.
You can set your browser to notify you before you receive a cookie so you have the chance to accept it and can set your browser to turn off cookies. No personally identifying information from you will be collected as part of these cookies. You may not be able to access some parts of our websites if you choose to disable the cookie acceptance in your browser. We therefore recommend you enable cookie acceptance to benefit from all the services on the website.
We may also collect your information through your use of online forms. Some forms are provided by third parties who may have access to your Personal Information but will only disclose that information to us, or as they are lawfully required.
On occasion, we, and our related companies, may use your Personal Information to provide you with information about the products and services we or our distributors, referrers, agents, business partners, affiliates and any proposed new or incoming insurer may offer.
You can opt out of receiving direct marketing information from us at any time (see the section ‘How to contact us about Privacy’).